Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Focus on the good

As finals week approaches, I know I am not the only student feeling overwhelmed with tests, papers, and presentations.  However, I do know a few things that relieve my stress and thought I should share!  One my favorite ways to relax is taking a short run between study sessions.  Even if you don't like to workout, getting your pulse up doing any sort of physical activity is a good way to get your mind going and for you to overall feel better.  I feel so much more motivated after working out and it makes getting school work done a bit easier.  I also feel that a short 30min-1 hour workout will not only help your mind, but your body as well. I mean who likes to study while feeling like a slug and guilty about eating pizza the night before? Not me.  Getting your blood moving releases endorphins and can improve your mood almost instantaneously!

Another way to relieve stress as finals week approaches is to sleep better.  Students with packed schedules are notorious for missing out on sleep.  Going to bed earlier and waking up a bit earlier to study will make it easier to pay attention and to retain more information!  Staying up until 4am, although you seem like you are getting more studying done, will not really benefit you at all.  Operating in a sleep-deprived state puts you at a great disadvantage. You are less productive and and find it much more difficult to learn.  If you are a night owl though and love to stay up to study then make sure to take a quick power nap to recharge!  Plus, who doesn't love a nice cat nap? I know I do!

Finals week is the hardest time of the semester and it will never get any easier, so taking any extra steps to relieve stress is always good idea!  Not only are working out and getting a good amount of sleep good ways to relieve stress but eating healthier, staying organized, and some good old positive thinking will help too! 

It was such a beautiful day out that I HAD to take a run!  I ran 2.5 miles in 22 minutes (not my best but it's better than sitting on my couch).  I wore my favorite Nike Pro running pants with a dry fit tank and Brooks running shoes.  I can't workout in anything but Brooks and I highly recommend them (however, my roommate will stand by Asics)!  Either of them are great!  Remember, even a 10 minute walk is better than sitting on your couch stressing about everything in your life.  Try and set a personal goal for yourself and stay motivated!  Take a break from studying and get your blood pumping.


"A diamond is a chunk of coal that did well under pressure" -Henry Kissinger
Even if you don't work out or get more sleep, at least you procrastinated studying for finals by reading this post just like I procrastinated studying for finals by writing it!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment